woensdag 29 augustus 2012

WANDERBACH page 100


- ‘Explain!’ he quietly response.
- ‘I don’t live far from the south gate where I can see the wall. I don’t know why, but I never had much contact with the neighborhood. In fact I’m a bit afraid of my neighbors. Also I don’t know why I got that house; perhaps there wasn’t anything else back then. I live there some fifteen years, the last ten together with Karl and the kids, and all friends and acquaintances live further towards the center.’ She pauses and waits if Tork has questions but when he nods impatiently she goes on: ‘You already know that I’m not a party-animal and if I had the chance I stayed home and hided upstairs where I can look over the wall and daydream about the scenery behind.’
She stares worried at the ruler, afraid for repercussions, but Tork encourages her friendly. ‘If I watched out of my window I sometimes saw people near the wall and always during the fight when everyone had to be in the center. Always the same spot. In front of the house with the cross...’ and because Tork looks at her non understanding: ‘That house has a white front with the door exactly in the middle. Above are three windows in a straight line, with the middle one exactly above the door and above that there is another single window so that it looks like a cross.’ Tork nods.
- ‘It is always a small group, men and women and always close to the wall. I couldn’t see what they are doing and from a distance I neither recognize anyone but I thought it to be strange, certainly because everybody had to be in the center.’ Tork stares thoughtful in front of him. It is at least remarkable and the repetition suggests that something is going on.
- ‘Is it possible to have a look. Maybe you see something that assumes an entrance, or there is something else that doesn’t match.’ Anna nods.
- ‘I can walk the dog. Normally I go to the South Park but I can act if I don’t have much time or fancy to ....’
- ‘What kind of dog do you have?’ Tork interferes interested. 

- ‘Vertel!’; zegt hij rustig.
- ‘Ik woon niet ver van de zuidpoort met zicht op de muur. Ik weet niet precies waarom, maar ik heb nooit veel contact met de buurtbewoners. Eigenlijk ben ik een beetje bang voor hen. Evenmin weet ik waarom ik de woning kreeg, misschien was er toen niets anders. Ik woon er een kleine vijftien jaar, de laatste tien met Karl en de kinderen, en alle vrienden en kennissen wonen verder naar het centrum.’ Ze pauzeert en wacht of Tork vragen heeft maar als die ongeduldig knikt gaat ze verder: ‘U weet al dat ik geen feestneus ben en als ik de kans had bleef ik thuis en verstopte me boven waar ik over de muur kan kijken en dagdromen over het landschap in de verte.’
Ze kijkt ongerust naar de heerser, bang voor represailles, maar Tork moedigt haar vriendelijk aan. ‘Als ik uit het raam keek zag ik soms mensen bij de muur en altijd tijdens het gevecht wanneer iedereen in het centrum moest zijn. Altijd dezelfde plek. Bij het huis met het kruis..’; en omdat Tork haar niet begrijpend aankijkt: ‘Dat huis heeft een witte gevel met precies in het midden de deur. Daarboven zijn in rechte rij drie ramen, met het middelste pal boven de deur en daarboven is nog een enkel raam zodat het een kruis lijkt.’ Tork knikt.
- ‘Altijd een groepje, mannen en vrouwen en steeds op dezelfde plek, dicht bij de muur. Ik kon niet zien wat ze daar doen en van die afstand herken ik ook niemand maar ik vond het wel vreemd, zeker omdat iedereen in het centrum hoorde te zijn.’ Tork staart nadenkend voor zich uit. Op zijn minst opmerkelijk en de herhaling suggereert dat er iets aan de hand is.
- ‘Zou je kunnen gaan kijken. Misschien zie je iets dat op een uitgang wijst, of is er iets anders dat niet klopt.’ Anna knikt.
- ‘Ik kan er met de hond gaan wandelen. Normaal laat ik haar in het Zuidpark uit maar ik kan doen of ik niet veel tijd of zin heb ....’
- ‘Wat is het voor een hond?’; onderbreekt Tork belangstellend.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten